WLALA FOUNDATION ANNUAL GIVING CAMPAIGN:At the end of 2007 the WLALA Foundation launched its Annual Giving Campaign to increase and diversify our funding capacity. Monies from the Campaign will be used to fund scholarships, Fran Kandel Public Interest Grants and our pro bono services, all described below. Don't miss out on the opportunity to be one of the founding funders for this critically important Campaign. To make a contribution pleaseclick here.
The WLALA Foundation, which grew out of the former Public Action Grant Foundation, was developed to facilitate the pro bono activities of WLALA. The WLALA Foundation is the vehicle through which WLALA offers the following:
- Scholarships to law students. Two $5,000 scholarships were awarded this past year. For more information or to apply, click here.
- Fran Kandel Public Interest Grants to law students who develop and implement projects in the field of public interest law. For more information or to apply, click here.
- Domestic Violence Project, which provides volunteer legal assistance to victims of domestic violence through Sojourn Services for Battered Women and Children. For more information or to volunteer, click here.
- History Project, which chronicles the experiences of women lawyer pioneers in Los Angeles. For more information, .click here.
- Power Lunch, a collaboration between the Los Angeles Superior Court and the WLALA Foundation, which provides education and mentorship for high school students in under-served, high-crime, and ethnically diverse communities
- Inner City Law Center, a joint project between Inner City Law Center and WLALA to work together to provide additional pro bono services to homeless veterans, including women veterans in Los Angeles. After receiving training through the ICLC, WLALA members will be paired up to assist homeless veterans apply for the healthcare and disability benefits they are entitled to because of their service. For veterans who are homeless, these benefits can mean stability and independent living. In addition to the pro bono opportunities for WLALA members that are provided by this collaboration with ICLC, the WLALA Foundation also will sponsor one WLALA/ICLC Homeless Veterans Project Student Fellow during Summer 2017 who will focus on the needs of women veterans. The Fellow will receive a $5000 grant from the WLALA Foundation and applications for the Student Fellow will be available in early 2017. For more information, click here.
The WLALA Foundation also provides support and funding for the following organizations:
- Harriett Buhai Center for Family Law, which WLALA co-founded with Black Women Lawyers. For more information, click here.
- Downtown Women's Center is the only organization in Los Angeles exclusively dedicated to addressing the needs of women overcoming poverty and homelessness in Skid Row. For more information, click here.