Margaret Brent Award Nominations
WLALA is seeking candidate recommendations for the Margaret Brent Award.
· Recommendations for the Margaret Brent Award are due to WLALA on November 12, 2012
The ABA Commission on Women in the Profession is accepting nominations for the 23rd Annual Margaret Brent Women Lawyers of Achievement Award. The award was established in 1991 to recognize and celebrate the accomplishments of women lawyers. Each year, this award honors five outstanding women lawyers who have achieved professional excellence within their area of specialty and have actively paved the way to success for other women lawyers. These women demonstrate excellence in a variety of professional settings and personify excellence on either the national, regional, or local level.
The 2013 award will be presented at a luncheon at the ABA Annual Meeting in San Francisco on Sunday, August 11, 2013.
1. The individual achieved professional excellence in her field AND
2. Influenced other women to pursue legal careers, OR
3. Opened doors for women lawyers in a variety of job settings that historically were closed to them, OR
4. Advanced opportunities for women within a practice area or segment of the profession.
Nominees may be ABA members or nonmembers.
· Application Requirements:
Application requirements for candidate recommendations are as follows. When submitting a nominee to WLALA, please follow these application requirements to facilitate WLALA’s submission of any nominee to the ABA.
A. Nominee's Resume - Include the nominee's resume or biography, describing her background and contributions.
B. Award Criteria Narrative - In no more than two typed pages, provide specific, concrete examples for criterion #1 (above) and at least one of criteria numbers 2 through 4 (above).
C. Articles and Letters - To present a comprehensive picture of the nominee, please include both:
1. Up to 10 news or magazine articles written by or about the candidate and
2. No more than 5 letters of support from individuals or organizations.
The Commission relies on the entire nomination packet in selecting each year's honorees. The limitation on articles and letters of support will be observed; anything in excess of 5 letters or 10 articles will not be considered.
*WLALA has no role in selecting the recipients in the Margaret Brent Award. The selection process is run solely by the American Bar Association (ABA), not WLALA. However, every year, WLALA submits nominations to the ABA for consideration by that organization. If you would like WLALA to nominate you for the Margaret Brent Award then please submit the information requested above by replying to this email (email@example.com).