WLALA FOUNDATION ANNUAL GIVING CAMPAIGN: At the end of 2007 the WLALA Foundation launched its Annual Giving Campaign to increase and diversify our funding capacity. Monies from the Campaign will be used to fund scholarships, Fran Kandel Public Interest Grants and our pro bono services, all described below. Don't miss out on the opportunity to be one of the founding funders for this critically important Campaign. To make a contribution please click here.
The WLALA Foundation, which grew out of the former Public Action Grant Foundation, was developed to facilitate the pro bono activities of WLALA. The WLALA Foundation is the vehicle through which WLALA offers the following:
- Scholarships to law students. Five $2,500 scholarships were awarded this past year. For more information or to apply, click here.
- Fran Kandel Public Interest Grants to law students who develop and implement projects in the field of public interest law. For more information or to apply, click here.
- Jail Project, which provides volunteer non-criminal legal assistance to incarcerated women. For more information or to volunteer, click here.
- Domestic Violence Project, which provides volunteer legal assistance to victims of domestic violence through Sojourn Services for Battered Women and Children.
For more information or to volunteer, click here.
- History Project, which chronicles the experiences of women lawyer pioneers in Los Angeles. For more information, .click here
The WLALA Foundation also provides support and funding for the following organizations:
- Harriett Buhai Center for Family Law, which WLALA co-founded with Black Women Lawyers. For more information, click here.
- California Women's Law Center support for the Rose Bird Memorial Fund.
For more information,click here.
- Downtown Women's Center is the only organization in Los Angeles exclusively dedicated to addressing the needs of women overcoming poverty and homelessness in Skid Row. For more information, click here.