Recipes for Busy Lawyers
Sweet Potato, Lentil, and Cauliflower
Submitted by: Kim Arnal
- · 1 tablespoon olive oil
- · 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- · 2 tablespoons curry powder
- · 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- · 1 head cauliflower (2 1/2 pounds), stemmed and separated into florets
- · 1 cup brown lentils, picked over, well rinsed, and drained
- · 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes with juice
- · Coarse salt
- · Plain low-fat yogurt, for serving (optional)
1. In a nonstick Dutch oven (5-quart pot with a tight-fitting lid), heat oil over medium heat.
2. Add curry powder; cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute.
3. Add onion, and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 7 minutes.
4. Stir in cauliflower, lentils, tomatoes and their juice, and 1 1/2 cups water; season with salt.
5. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer; cover, and cook until lentils are beginning to soften (~20-30 minutes).
6. Add sweet potatoes and continue to cook until potatoes reach the desired texture (~15 minutes).
7. Serve immediately with yogurt, if desired.
Kim Arnal is WLALA's President. She is also the managing partner of the Los Angeles office of The Aguilera Law Group.