Recipes for Busy Lawyers
Editor’s Note—Send us the most delicious and nutritious recipes that you love to feed yourself or your family and we will share them!
Barbara’s Amazing Chicken
Submitted by Reg Levy
Here’s my favorite fast weeknight chicken:
- 1 chicken
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced or pressed
- 1T salt plus more for rub
- 1t red pepper flakes
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2T honey
- Remove any giblets and reserve for another use (boil with a dash of salt and a clove of garlic for a delicious broth!). Remove fat from around cavity and reserve.
- Heat oven to 350°.
- In a small pot, warm garlic, 1T salt, red pepper flakes, lemon juice, and honey until the honey is liquified. Do not boil. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Rub chicken inside and out with salt.
- Separate skin from the chicken breasts, being careful not to puncture the skin.
- Divide reserved fat (if any) in two and place under the skin on top of each breast.
- Spoon the honey-lemon-garlic under the skin and on top of each breast.
- Cook at 350° 45 minutes on its side (you’ll need to balance it) on a rack. Fill the pan under the rack with a centimeter of water (enough to cover the whole pan but not enough to touch the chicken).
- At 45 minutes, remove and flip to its other side and cook another 45 minutes.
The water left at the end will be delicious added to rice or quinoa to serve on the side.
The carcass makes an incredible broth.
Can be prepared up to two days before you cook it—just cover in plastic wrap in the fridge. The skin will be even crispier.
Reg Levy is Vice President of Compliance and Policy for Minds + Machines and is WLALA's Board of Governors Chair of the Website Committee.