Recipes for Busy Lawyers
Editor’s Note—This is a new series for our newsletter, send us the most delicious and nutritious recipes that you love to feed yourself or your family and we will share them!
Quick and Tasty Blackened Salmon and Fruit Salsa
Submitted by: Hon. Sandra Klein
Ingredients for Blackened Salmon
1 1/2 Tablespoons Italian Seasoning (or ¾ Tablespoon Oregano and ¾ Tablespoon Thyme
· 1 Tablespoon Paprika
· 1 Tablespoon Garlic Powder
· 1/2 Tablespoon Black Pepper
· 1/2 Tablespoon Onion Powder
· 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
· 1 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper (or more to taste)
· 1 teaspoon Cumin
· 1 teaspoon White Pepper
· 16 ounces boneless, skinless salmon fillets (cut into 4 fillets)
· Olive oil
Ingredients for Fruit Salsa
· ½ cup chopped fresh mango
· ½ cup chopped fresh pineapple
· 3 Tablespoons diced sweet onion
· 3 Tablespoons of sweet or fruity vinegar (Trader Joe’s Orange Muscat Vinegar works well in this recipe)
· 2 Tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro
Instructions for Blackened Salmon
1. In a small mixing bowl combine spices.
2. Coat Salmon fillets evenly on both sides with the spice mixture. If there is extra spice mixture, it can be saved for future use.
3. Heat a cast iron skillet on medium-high. Once it is hot, drizzle the bottom of the pan with olive oil. Swirl the oil around and carefully use a paper towel to wipe off the excess.
4. Place the Salmon in the skillet. Sear for 2-3 minutes, without moving the fillets. The salmon should release easily from the pan. Flip the fillets, and sear for approximately 2 more minutes depending on desired level of doneness.
5. Remove the fillets from pan and let sit for approximately 5 minutes.
Instructions for Fruit Salsa
1. In a small bowl, combine mango, pineapple, onion, vinegar, and cilantro. Add additional vinegar if desired.
While the salmon is still hot, serve with the fruit salsa.
Hon. Sandra Klein is a WLALA Board Member. Judge Klein is bankruptcy judge for the Central District of California.