Selection Guidelines for the WLALA Foundation
2018 Judge Beverly Reid O’Connell Scholarship
The Women Lawyers Association of Los Angeles (WLALA) Foundation is pleased to offer the 2018 Judge Beverly Reid O’Connell Scholarship, which is awarded annually to a woman high school senior, who is interested in the field of law or public service, and who was inspired in this career choice by the WLALA Foundation’s Power Lunch Program, the WLALA organization, or by a WLALA leader. Judge O’Connell, who was long-time board member of WLALA, created the Power Lunch Program to provide civic education, judicial mentorship and exposure to the judicial branch to local high school students. As part of the Power Lunch Program, students come to courthouses to have lunch with judges, lawyers, courtroom staff and members of law enforcement.
WLALA is an active bar association that seeks to promote the interests of women, and to promote equality and equal opportunity of all people. The WLALA Foundation’s special projects include the Harriet Buhai Center for Family Law, which assists low income individuals in preparing and handling pro per family law matters; the Downtown Women's Center, which is the only organization in Los Angeles exclusively dedicated to addressing the needs of women overcoming poverty and homelessness in Skid Row; the Fran Kandel Public Interest Grant, which provides financial assistance for special projects undertaken by law students working in the public interest, and the Judge Beverly Reid O’Connell Scholarship. WLALA Foundation's numerous committees include a group that provides pro bono legal advice to victims of domestic violence.
The winner of the 2018 Judge Beverly Reid O’Connell Scholarship will receive up to $5,000 and be announced publicly at the WLALA Installation Dinner in the fall of 2018, which recipients are required to attend. To be eligible, an applicant must meet the following requirements:
- Be a woman high school senior;
- Interested in the field of law or in public service;
- Inspired to pursue this career choice by: 1) the WLALA Foundation’s Power Lunch Program; 2) the WLALA organization; or 3) a WLALA leader.
To apply, please submit all of the following information/materials:
- Your contact information (name, email address, and phone number);
- A personal statement addressing where you have applied to college and/or where you have been accepted into college, your career goals, and how you were inspired to pursue this career by the WLALA Foundation’s Power Lunch Program, the WLALA organization, or a WLALA leader. Your personal statement must be typed, double-spaced, and a maximum of 2 pages;
- Your high school transcript, including grades for fall semester 2017; and
- A minimum of one letter of recommendation and a maximum of three letters of recommendation.
Email your completed application to: email@example.com (please include “2018 Judge Beverly Reid O’Connell Scholarship Application” in the email subject line) or mail your completed application to Women Lawyers Association of Los Angeles, Attn: 2018 Judge Beverly Reid O’Connell Scholarship Application, 634 South Spring Street, Suite 617, Los Angeles, CA 90014. All applications must be postmarked no later than June 13, 2018.
Questions about the WLALA 2018 Judge Beverly Reid O’Connell Scholarship should be directed to Kay Burt at firstname.lastname@example.org.